Finally ,after a long wait ,i attended the Organic Terrace Gardening Workshop by Dr. B. N. Vishwanath. It was a one day workshop from 10.30 to 5.00 pm where he discussed about organic farming and why we should take up the same at our terrace or Balcony.
Dr.Vishwanath advises us to do vegetable gardening than having flowering plants as we can use vegetables for our cooking and it's worth the money you spend in gardening.But it depends on the person's interest too.
Main advantages of Organic Terrace Gardening :
(Pictures shown are from my own kitchen garden which i did 6 months back)
- We get to eat vegetables without pesticides
- Good exercise for mind and body,stress relief as we spend nearly 10 minutes everyday in the garden
- Full greenery around your house
- You get more clean air as you are surrounded by green's
- Save money as our frequent visit to markets /shops gets reduced.
- Moreover the satisfaction you get.
Pots to be used
- 12/10 inch pots (diameter as well as height) in Cement (Paint white color so that it reflects light) ,Terracotta (Best to use) or Plastic
- 9 inch lengthy pots for growing greens -palak etc
It's worth attending the workshop as the workshop fee is just 300/- and you get to meet many people who share same views as you.I got many friends .
- one aunt who was a bank officer and later shifted to IT faculty role and now doing craft classes and interested in gardening.
- another old aunt who is working in HAL as engineer but really into Terrace Gardening
- one more who is a house wife and owns a beautiful garden with more than 37 varieties of Hibiscus.Before discussing with aunt ,i didn't even know that these many varieties existed.She came for the class as she wants to find out the reason why most of her plants are getting affected by some virus.
-Another gentleman who is an Architect.Till now he has cut down many trees for construction of buildings.But now he understood the use of trees and he wants to make sure that he adds his share to a more greener Bangalore.
-Other participants include people who own preschools and wanted to include farming vegetables in their curriculum so that kids will understand the use of organic farming ,few from Green Foundation ,few from software field.
Dr. Vishwanath conducts one-day training programs for housewives and other interested persons on organic terrace gardening.He can be contacted on 28485717, 9845627217,
Info related to classes or for organic manure and pesticides.
Vittal Mallya Scientific Research Foundation #94/3 & 94/5, 23rd cross, 29th Main BTM 2nd Stage BANGALORE - 560 076 Tel: +91-80-2668 7216, 2668 7223, 2668 7183 Fax: +91-80-2668 7170 Website: www.vmsrf.org
More links about him and Terrace Gardening
A Handbook of Organic Terrace Gardening – Bangalore, India
Purna Organics Terrace Garden (In Kannada)
Vegetable cultivation in Terrace (In Malayalam)
Documentary on the terrace vegetable garden (In Malayalam)
For Kambha (Compost Making)
I am using this for the past 6 months and i found it to be very effective.I don't waste any of the kitchen waste as i put this into Kambha and wait for it to be made as manure.One time investment and surely worth it for any person living in apartments.
So i am planning to start my vegetable garden soon.